The President’s visit was a success in two directions. First of all, a new page in the history of Kazakh-US partnership was opened and the sides achieved progress in terms of global non-proliferation process where Kazakhstan is an active participant. Today the front pages of all American newspapers published articles about the first global summit on nuclear safety. Much attention has been paid to Kazakhstan. Our republic is an example because of renunciation of nuclear weapons and the closure of the Semipalatinsk test site. American society h supports new initiative of Nursultan Nazarbayev expressed at great talks.
> Kazakhstan Map
Terry Nial, correspondent of the newspaper Washington Post:
- This is a great example for everybody. Refusal of Kazakhstan from nuclear weapons deserves great respect. President Nazarbayev is a true leader who showed the world which direction to move today.
Johannes Zeleke, Washington resident:
- I know that Nazarbayev is the first President of Kazakhstan. I can say he is is very popular in America. All of his non-nuclear initiatives call for Americans only respect.
George de Paris, Washington resident:
- Kazakhstan made his choice for the peace and it is a great deed of the wise politician.
20 years ago, there were very few people in Washington D.C. who knew about the existence of Kazakhstan. Now, the situation has reportedly changed. The growth of international authority in the Republic made Americans interested in its culture and history. In this regard, the opening of a Kazakh culture festival was another significant event which was held in the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. A virtual exposition of the heritage of Chokan Valikhanov was the main part of the event. The web-site of the Smithsonian Institution has a new section which contains photographs, videos and other interesting materials devoted to the creativity and scientific works by Valikhanov. Concerts of jazz orchestra and folklore ensemble from Kazakhsatn, exhibitiosn of modern Kazakhstani art, week of Kazakhstan’s cinematography and culture lectures about RK will be held in framework of festival.
Paul Michael Taylor, the director of the Asian Cultural History Program at the Smithsonian Institution:
- Kazakhstan is a unique country. The more I learn about it the more I like its history and culture. Over 20 years, Kazakhstan has joined the dynamically developing states. The country achieved an authoritative position on the world arena and is now a good example for other countries. It deserves respect. This is why Nursultan Nazarbayev was in focus at this global summit.
Brain Doll, businessman:
- Today the whole world knows about Kazakhstan. I understand Nursultan Nazarbayev’s participation in the global summit as a sin of recognition of his leadership in terms of non-proliferation of nuclear weapons.
Frederik Starr, a member of the Central Asian Institute of the USA:
- My home is Louisiana. My neighbors are modest Americans, who are well aware of Kazakhstan, even visited your country. Kazakhstan's role is very important. I loved it. This is a very brave move by Kazakhstan. This is 100% success.
James Collins, director of Eurasian Programs of the Institute Karnegi Indovment:
- I watch closely the progress of development of Kazakhstan and the last two days, and I am really happy for Nursultan Nazarbayev. The success of his talks with Barack Obama and performance at a global summit is a great progress.
Anastasia Khitruk, musician, USA:
- After a recent meeting of our Presidents, I think many people know about Kazakhstan in the best form. You have become a world leader in Central Asia and the leader of the world anti-nuclear movement.
Washington D.C. also saw the presentation of a book by Jonathan Aitken entitled “Nazarbayev and the Making of Kazakhstan”.
Jonathan Aitken, writer:
- This is a story which deserves special attention. This is the history of a great leader. His fate is linked with the making of independent Kazakhstan – a young and prospering country which was led by Nursultan Nazarbayev to those authoritative members of the world community. He added when he was writing that book he visited Kazakhstan a few times. He was very much impressed with it. Astana reminded him of Manhattan or Dubai. The city’s architect is surely a historical figure.
Kazakh-US relations are gaining new dynamics. The success of negotiations between Nursultan Nazarbayev and Barack Obama is a signal for the intensification of bilateral cooperation in the spheres of economy, politics as well as culture and humanities. Currently the annual goods turnover between RK and USA exceeds $2 billions. But it is not a limit and processing sector provides great prospects for development of interaction. One of the priorities of Nursultan Nazarbayev is attraction of US investments and technologies into the industrialization of Kazakhstan. And leaders confirmed the strategic character of Kazakhstani-American partnership.
Nursultan Nazarbayev, President of Kazakhstan:
- I work not only with administration, we reached a complete mutual understanding on all the discussed issues with new administration. It is a strategic and energy partnership, partnership in small and medium-sized businesses, joint fighting against terrorism, Kazakhstan’s rendering assistance to Afghanistan, problem of Kyrgyzstan was also discussed and we agreed on all these issues, we have complete mutual understanding.
While in Washington, Nursultan Nazarbayev noted that the policy carried out by the White House administration regarding the “reload” of international relations has been successful at its beginning.
Nursultan Nazarbayev, President of Kazakhstan:
- We have received a confirmation and support for the conduction of an OSCE summit in Kazakhstan. Now, we have to prepare for this important geopolitical event which is expected to be held at the end of autumn this year.
World media monitoring